It doesn't take much effort to get these delicious gluten-free pancakes on your breakfast table. Who's ready for a treat?
Rachel’s Gluten-Free Pancakes are a cinch to whip up when you have a bag of Doves Farm gluten-free self-raising flour in your pantry. Most gluten-free recipes require a blend of different flours in particular ratios to be successful. But with Doves Farm, there’s no guessing game—they take care of the blending and measuring for you with a perfect ratio of flours that easily substitute for the self-raising wheat flour in most recipes. The company makes their flours out of ‘real food’ ingredients which they mill themselves in England.
We especially love using their flour in this pancake recipe which makes for a light, fluffly pancake that has a billowy center and pleasantly crisp edges.
Rachel’s Gluten-Free American-Style Pancakes
Makes about 14 pancakes, each the size of a saucer
- 1 TBSP Butter, plus more for cooking
- 250g Doves Farm Self-Raising Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 tsp Gluten-Free Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 400 mls Kefir or Buttermilk, plus more if needed
1. Melt 1 TBSP butter in a heavy frying pan, then allow to cool slightly.
2. Weigh the flour into a medium-sized bowl, then sift the baking powder and salt into the same bowl.
3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs, then whisk in the kefir (or buttermilk).
4. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, whisk until nearly smooth (some lumps are okay). At this point, the consistency of the batter should resemble double cream. If too thick, gradually whisk in more kefir (or buttermilk).
5. Stir in the melted butter.
6. Re-heat the frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, melt a sliver of butter in the pan and pour in some batter—enough so it spreads to the size of a saucer. The pancake is ready to flip when the edges are set and small bubbles appear on the surface. After flipping, cook for another few minutes, just until the bottom is set.
7. Place the cooked pancakes on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you get on with cooking the rest. Finally (the best bit), serve with your favourite toppings.
Be Weekend Breakfast Ready (any day of the week)
Shop the ingredients online:
About those toppings...
Who here thinks the toppings are the best thing about pancakes? The sky's the limit when it comes to selecting your options, but we'll always have a special place in our hearts for the classic option: maple syrup.
And while we're always mindful of our sugar consumption, we know that *pure maple syrup* (not the stuff cut with corn syrup and artifical couluring) is an occasional sweet treat we can feel good about thanks to its nutritional profile which includes minerals and antioxidants.
Looking for something a little unexpected? Then we recommend Rosehip Syrup from Wild Irish Foragers and Preservers, floral and fruity and packed with vitamin C.
Now, who's ready for breakfast?